On September 6, 2011, the National Coast Watch System was created by Virtue of Executive Order No. 57 provided for the structure and define the roles and responsibilities of member agencies in providing coordinated inter-agency maritime security operations.
The System will serve as the central mechanism to coordinate interagency approach on national maritime issues and maritime security operations to attain the Whole-of-Government Approach in the country’s maritime domain. The System is composed of:
- National Coast Watch Council (Council) – the central inter-agency body that provides strategic direction and formulates and promulgates policy guidelines for the National Coast Watch Center;
- National Coast Watch Center (Center) – the principal organ that implements and coordinates maritime security operations in the Philippines;
- National Coast Watch Council Secretariat (Secretariat) – provides technical and administrative support to the Council.
The mission of the NCWC is to coordinate and implement the whole of government efforts to protect the Philippine national interests against security threats, enforce national sovereignty and sovereign rights, and fulfill international responsibilities and obligations throughout the maritime jurisdiction of the country.
To promote maritime safety, enforce maritime laws, protect the marine environment and contribute to economic development.
NCWS CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT ENDSTATE
NCWS capability development is geared to achieve Maritime Situational Awareness & Security Response within the whole Philippine archipelago. Specifically, the whole capability shall be able to achieve the following:
- Enhanced WPS Monitoring
- Enable Inter-Agency Secure Communications and Information Exchange with NCWC
- Enhanced Monitoring of Southern Philippines
- Enhanced Monitoring of Central Philippines
- Enhanced Monitoring of Northern Philippines
- Increased Member Agency Mandated Capacity & Capabilities for MSA & Maritime Security Responses
Hence, the realization of the NMCD will enable us to fulfill our vision of becoming a global leading maritime nation.